Let me contemplate you towards two main learning styles and these are tactile learning and kinesthetic learning
And, those who learn through this method are called Tactile/Kinesthetic learners when it comes to the point of getting a concept regarding anything.
Although there are a lot of learning styles if you want to know about other styles too then do comment I’ll try to elaborate on other learning styles too with you in my next blog
Tactile and Kinesthetic learning styles are also known as “Learning by doing learning styles”
How the existence of Tactile/Kinesthetic learning becomes popularized and who popularized the existence of Tactile and Kinesthetic learning?
Neil D. Fleming popularized this learning style in his VAK Learning Model
To briefly know about the concept of learning through the Tactile/Kinesthetic method.
First, we have to make sure to get fully aware of what actually learning is and how it grooms us in such a way so that our lifestyle is going to change totally
What is learning?
The ability to gain or acquisition of knowledge is something that we call learning.
Teachers play a vital role to train students in a variety of fields by letting them know about the particular field and let them explore more interesting facts regarding the field.
Whatever we have in front of us in this world, this innovation is all from the learner’s side.
Now come to the point of what actually Tactile learning/Kinesthetic learning is?
Here are some points that will cover:
- Best Study Habits of Successful Students
- 5 Best Tips for Successful Online Learning
- Proven Tips For Successful Distance Learning
- Ways to Improve Your Ability to Learn
What is Tactile/Kinesthetic learning?
Now in this competitive era when there is innovation everywhere around us, the old teaching strategies like having a chowk in hand and to write on blackboard or whiteboard makes students bored then nothing and this leads to the loss of their interest too in studies.
As this is human psychology whatever happening the practical in front of us will remember us quite earlier than just auditory and visual learning.
As most of us know about the notorious phrase “Practice makes the things perfect” then we can easily conclude through this that doing work practically instead of just listening and visioning but implementing something is called Tactile or Kinesthetic learning
And those who learn through this method are called Tactile or Kinesthetic learners.
Some interesting facts regarding Tactile/Kinesthetic learning
As we have seen a lot that many sentences even tells what actually the sentence is about, same with the case of Tactile and Kinesthetic learning
It is also known as the Multi-Sensory Learning Style because we are using different senses at a time including usage of visual sense and auditorial sense because tactile learners learn by seeing or auditory sense by listening to the concept and then try to figure it out easily by seeing the practical thing implementing in front of them and then try to do it by their own and same it is for auditory learners.
Characteristics of Tactile/Kinesthetic learners
What our Educational institutions are doing right now is to learn students the same way from Kindergarten to Higher education
We have to know that understanding ability is changing according to age.
Adults having the ability to understand and accommodate anything quite better than Primary/Secondary/Higher Educational students
Adopting ability changes with the passage of time, we have to deal with everyone according to their age group
For instance, a kindergarten toddler wants attention hundreds of times more than higher education students.
We have to let our teachers know about each and every learning style by assuring to have proper in-service teacher training regarding different learning styles and letting them know about the psychology of different sorts of students and how to tackle forty to fifty students with different intellectual abilities, different ways to learn concepts quite far.
Kinesthetic learning style is also known as learning through movement style and tactile learning style is also known as learning through hands by doing something practically with your hand learning style
But traditional classrooms in schools/colleges/universities are the biggest hurdles for this sort of learning.
All students are facing this traditional sort of curriculum learning in their schools/colleges/universities, besides having a lot of advantages by learning through Tactile and Kinesthetic methods
Is this the same case with your child too in learning?
- Tips to Motivate your Child Learn Better
- 10 Ways to Help Your Child Adapt to Learning at Home
- Great Habits Of Successful Students
Traditional sort of learning will neither make our child tomorrow’s future brighter nor producing Unprecedented leaders, knowledgeable specialists doctors, or successful engineers, etc.
The more quickly we have come to know about our student’s strategies or strengths to learn quite far, the sooner we’ll apply all these strategies in our schools, the more quickly we’ll make our teachers understand and spread this sort of concept of learning.
Some strategies regarding Tactile/Kinesthetic learning
We’ll make sure to let our students learn through nature, natural things and if in case we want to need something to learn but we don’t have that particular thing we’ll have to create it artificially because whatever we have in front of us in the 3D version our brain tends to learn that particular thing quite earlier and remember it for a long time span
Let’s take an example of a science class despite teaching students what leaves are in a classroom by censuring them to be attentive in this classroom, you’ll have to create opportunities for them and explaining them by letting them see things practically and then teach them despite teaching them via the diagrammatical manner in textbooks. What leaves contain? How stomata works? They’ll have to let them go to the garden and explore them there that this is leave and through this method leave flourish, through this method of active or passive transport leave get water from roots, tell them briefly about chlorophyll pigment in leave and how pigment plays a role in providing greenish shade to the leave including when the leave turning yellowish, what are the primary reasons for this yellowish through this learning style when they are just not restricted to sit at a single place for a long haul when they learn things like this way as I explain above their mind tends to pick things quite earlier and their concepts also got cleared when they learn through this method
As most of the students dislike science subjects, the prime reason is that teachers instead of explaining science via practically, they just come and explain to students like this way by reading exact same phrases and words of books and translate them into easy words
This is not whatever we are desiring to get.
Field trips play a vital role when it comes to Tactile/Kinesthetic learning by visiting those areas whom they are studying right now, through this way after visiting its quite easy for them to explain elaboratively because their mind tends to visualize things more easily which is happened practically in front of them
Build skills like creativity in them and allow them to doodle creating projects of whatever they are studying right now allow them to do coloring in it, embellished it with different things let them thing widely and let their perspective come in front of others and place prizes for them and encourage them by giving unprecedented prizes to them for their struggle
Take their presentations, this is not only helping them in building their confidence but build their concepts too for a long time span by allowing them to present in front of the entire class teaching their body language too. This would totally eradicate their fear of public speaking.
Give them practical situations and allow them to tackle all these situations. This would not only improve their thinking abilities but they’ll have come to know that how to deal with a situation and this would help a lot in their practical life.
Tactile/kinesthetic Learner Strategies
Following are the bullet points regarding Tactile/Kinesthetic learner Strategies in a succinct manner
- Imagine by creating pictures in your mind of whatever you are learning
- Take a short rest break after every hour and relax your mind by gossiping with your family members
- Try to read in the environment where you feels too much comfortable
- he point which we are going to discuss here helps a lot in learning and that is whatever you are learning share with others too, teach as many students as you can this’ll not only strengthen your grip on a specific topic but can improve a lot of skill sets in you, for instance, this tactic would find amazing for those who would love to be a future teacher
- If your group mates and other friends live quite close to your house then invite them for group study as this is proven psychologically that; “One can perform outstanding or done job in an unprecedented manner when he has to face competition despite of doing something lonely makes him tired too early”. Group study motivates every student to learn something quite earlier than their friends and this motivation give them extra power to figure out problems and learn something easily and quickly
- Whatever Tactile/Kinesthetic learners are learning they would have to be imaginative and creative by closing their eyes and just focus on creating the visualized map of whatever you got from the topic by tracing it
- In most cases it has been seen that tactile/kinesthetic learners have a high IQ level
- Most of the famous scientists who explore nature deeply and other things, it’s interesting to say that all famous scientists, specialists and he who successfully reknown their names in this world were tactile/kinesthetic learners.
- As you would love to listen to interesting facts that THOMAS EDISON(Bulb inventor) was a Tactile/Kinesthetic learner and the reason for his success was learning via Tactile/Kinesthetic method
- Famous Muslim Scientist Jabir Bin Hayan was a Tactile/Kinesthetic leaner too, what makes them different from us is as follows
- First they have passion for what they were doing
- Secondly consistency despite facing failure a lot of times
- Good hope
- role play
- sense of touch
- study strategies
- hands on activities
- stay focused
- trial and error
- retain information
- Believe in yourself
- Practicing as much as possible
- Learn through implementing
Tactile/Kinesthetic Teaching Strategies
Besides learners plays a vital role in learning through the tactile/kinesthetic method, teachers would also have to play a role in it
- Teachers would have to let them brief in front of the real object and for instance if it’s not possible because in many cases we have seen whatever we are studying are out of our approach, maybe out of from this planet like we are studying about the milky galaxy and the cases like so what happened if teachers would have to face this issue then the easiest and simple solution to this problem is that they would have to do a little bit struggle to create an artificial model of that thing and this would help tactile or kinesthetic learners to get a concept regarding the thing quite easily and it appears to be interesting too if teachers would paint that specific model with different alluring colors and this would help tactile or kinesthetic learners to maintain their interest for a long haul
- Teachers would let tactile learners as well as kinesthetic to inquire as many queries as they have.
- As far as they are investigating the model or anything related to tactile/kinesthetic learning they are using movements and these movements are what we call tactile or kinesthetic learning
- Give them a page and let their ideas to come out by giving different easy as well as complicated problems and let them to figure out
- Teachers would have to be interesting in their own means try to tell jokes in between and to be energetic too
- Ask them to create colorful eye-catchy pictoral charts and graphs
- Be frank with them
- Give every student proper attention
- Inquire questions in between from them by calling their names this would help you to maintain their interest and makes them be focussed
- Take reward-based quiz tests from them
- Arrange at least one party or dedicate one day for just only fun
- Your peculiar manner makes them let share everything with you
Challenges for tactile learners
As tactile learners are adopted to learn by movements so it’s quite difficult for them to stick at a single place and just watch visually and auditorily in most cases tactile learners lose their interest in between the lecture due to these traditional classes
It’s quite difficult for tactile learners to get a concept about the thing by just visioning to what the teacher presents to him and listening to him and maintain, their focus level for a long time as this has been seen in most tactile learners that they have to face peak focus level issues. so teachers must have to aware of each and every aspect to teach students and let their learning more interesting but this would possible only when we have 3d models of what we are teaching to students including pictorial charts colorful graphics charts, this would be a plus point if teachers let students directly about the thing by explaining them via the natural presence of that thing.
It’s quite easy to conclude here that learning by doing is something we would have to focus on to make our child deeply aware about the things what they are learning now, through this we would not only make this earth innovative to an extent but safes this earth too from haphazard effects which are now becoming a global issue